Macaroons are made every Passover season. They are unleavened and the egg whites mixed with the coconut binds the cookie together. This recipe allows the sugar to spread to the edges and caramelize. These cookies are so easy to make, yet they taste so good. For a variation, add the cocoa powder to the mixture and make chocolate macaroons.
- 14-ounce package of sweetened shredded coconut
- 4 large egg whites (beaten)
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon grated orange zest
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon zest
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ cup of cocoa powder (optional)
- Heat oven to 340° F.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper
- Combine the coconut, sugar, orange and
lemon zest, and salt.
- Beat the egg whites and add to the mixture.
- Place heaping tablespoons of the mixture on the pan, and space 12 macaroons (3” wide x 4” long).
- Cook the macaroons for about 20 minutes or until the edges start turning brown.
- Cool on a wire rack for 30 minutes
Yield: 12 – 2oz macaroons