To apply, please send your resume and cover letter to Neal Surasky at [email protected] with the subject line “Staff Writer Position.”
CMC Position Particulars
Location of Service: Manhattan
Hours of Service: Full-time/40 hours per week
Starting Salary: Starting $45,000 per year commensurate with experience
Character and Spiritual Life
The Staff Writer is a position within a Christian/Messianic ministry. Therefore, the individual is expected to maintain the highest level of moral character and faith as outlined in Scripture.
As Paul wrote to Timothy, “Pay close attention to yourself and to your teaching; persevere in these things, for as you do this you will ensure salvation both yourself and for those who hear you” (1Timothy 4:16).
Whereas the Staff Writer might not be an ordained person or “elder,” the worker is still held to these same high standards in both character and doctrine. Regular Bible study, prayer, and congregational attendance at minimum are expected of all staff and leaders, as they act as an example for those they lead. Attendance at the weekly chapel gathering is also expected.
The Role of a Chosen People Ministries Staff Member
The overarching task of every Chosen People Ministries staff member is to fulfill the Chosen People Ministries mission statement: “to pray for, evangelize, disciple, and serve Jewish people everywhere and to help fellow believers do the same.”
Founded in 1894, Chosen People Ministries reaches the Jewish community globally for Jesus the Messiah. Chosen People Ministries does this by fulfilling the above mission statement.
Role and Responsibilities
The role of the Publications Administrative Coordinator is to assist the Director of Publications in the writing, managing, editing, production, and mailing of all Chosen People Ministries publications—whether the material is produced electronically, on paper, or on the Internet. This position reports to the Director of Publications and all schedules and projects require Director of Publications approval. Common tasks include:
- Writing articles and emails as assigned
- Copy editing for Publications and Digital Media
- Proofreading all material for print before publication
- Preparing material for publication on the Chosen People Ministries website
- Assisting in developing timelines for each project
- Prioritizing projects to ensure all deadlines are met
- Archiving printed samples at the completion of all projects
- Providing creative input for newsletter content
- Compiling news briefs from around the ministry for use in monthly newsletter
- Managing the internal newsletter, Yenta News.
- Researching and compiling information for publication of booklets and gospel tracts
- Assisting in research and writing projects required by the Executive Office.
- Building and maintaining relationships with external writers and editors as needed
- Attending regular meetings necessary to accomplish the above
Qualifications and Education Requirements
The ideal candidate will possess the following qualifications:
- A proven ability to research, write, and produce articles, etc. within deadlines
- Minimum two years of experience in writing for publication, online communications, or has held a position requiring comparable experience and skills
- Minimum two years of experience in the field of Jewish ministry or has held a position requiring comparable similar experience and skill
- Should be creative in approaching responsibilities
- Should have substantial understanding of the Jewish ministry landscape
- Should be a self-starter, quick learner; able to work independently and meet deadlines
- Should have a high level of professionalism, maturity and integrity; maintaining tact, discretion and diplomacy with internal and external audiences
- Should be flexible and adaptable; open to feedback and improvement with a can-do positive and yet humble attitude
- Must be in significant agreement with the Chosen People Ministries Statement of Faith
- Must be willing to accept and abide by Chosen People Ministries’ policies and Code of Conduct
- Should have a depth of familiarity with Chosen People Ministries’ frequent topics: Jewish life, history, culture and religion, the evangelical church, Israel and the Middle East
- An understanding of the importance of writing to a specific audience and the ability to adjust writing style to the intended reader
- An accredited degree in theology, Jewish studies, journalism, writing, or a related field is helpful
- Within commuting distance from Manhattan
- Exceptional writing skills
- Organized, detail-oriented, and works well under deadlines
- Strong time-management and multi-tasking skills
- Able to write in a variety of styles including whimsical, academic, and “folksy”
- Excellent project management skills: ability to take an idea from concept to completion
- Proficient in MS Office Suite, including Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
The responsibilities as the Publications Administrative Coordinator are wide-ranged and varied. However, one of the primary tasks is to translate the raw text of articles, letters, outlines, transcripts, and other documents created by the president and other staff members and, as part of the Publications team, polish them into finished pieces for a print or digital publication. Regular projects include monthly newsletters, monthly president’s prayer letters, and our internal staff newsletter. Each publication has a different target audience, so the challenge is to keep the audience in mind and understand the reader. It is important to stay tuned to current events and worldviews of the two main audiences Chosen People Ministries serves: unsaved Jewish people, and Evangelical Christians.